What has been keeping me away you ask??? Well, a March for Babies garage sale fundraiser, the actual March for Babies walk, starting a new job, still working my old job, small group at church, preparing for my first craft show, turning 30, the flu, an ear infection, and a bad cold.
So there has been really NO crafting. (very sad, I have missed my craft room) And no blogging. (again, very sad, I have missed writing about crafting.) But what can you do, sometimes life happens. :) Soon hopefully I will have a little more precious TIME as next week is my last official days at the old job. :)
Anyway, on to some crafting... :)
For my birthday my husband and son got me a Kindle.
And of course, a Kindle needs a case to protect it. :)
Even though I'm quite amateur at my sewing, I seem to have collected a fair amount of fabrics, most of them without a specific project in mind, just because I like them. :) Anyone else do that???
My collection (most but not all):
This is the flannel material/print I decided to go with for my Kindle case. To reflect my love of crafting!
I started off by using my Kindle as a measuring guide for how wide I should cut my material and then I cut off two pieces (just left it folded!) of the material. The final measurements for my two flannel pieces was
9" wide by 14" long
I wanted to pad it a little because I know I will be shoving it in my purse a lot and I feel better knowing its a little padded. So I used some quilt batting I had on hand. The measurements on the quilt batting were
6" wide by 9" long.
I decided to go with shabby/unfinished edges on my case so I sandwiched the batting between the wrong sides of the materials. (I actually ironed before proceeding, but didn't retake the picture after ironing).
On one end, I folded over the edge and pinned it and then sewed it.
Then using my Kindle as a measurement guide, I determined where my bottom fold would be... fold up my sewn edge.
I pinned everything in place. I also opted to fold over the top edge of the case. Then I sewed up each side and the top edge of the flap.
I sewed a piece of ribbon on to use to tie my case closed. You could use velcro or a button.
I purposefully frayed my edges for the shabby look.
The finished product.